Sunday, June 21, 2015

SCANDALS DON’T MOVE ME ANYMORE’ – Katherine Obiang



Estranged wife of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire presenter, Frank Edoho, rocked our screens for about 10 years, co-hosting the popular AM Express on NTA. Today, however, she is with Nigerian Info FM. Katherine, as she is fondly called, has also veered into Nollywood to test her make believe skills. She just featured in a yet-to-be released movie, Journey to Self. In a chat with YES INTERNATIONAL! Magazine, she disclosed how it all happened; why she goes on low cut, how she handles scandals and more.Enjoy! 

so, how was it like; the experience?
It was great. I have a new found respect for actors now. There is a lot of work involved and in doing things properly, you settle for some standards because you don’t want to take the shortcut to achieve whatever it is you want to achieve. I learnt a lot and it was an honour to have worked with those talented actors. They treated me like one of them and it was great.

Being a first timer, what were some of the challenges you faced while on set?
Oh! Trying to interpret a role in the presence of so many people I had never met before and you don’t want to appear like failing or you’ve failed because it’s going to be an embarrassment. It was very uncomfortable trying to do it on set.

What role did you play in this your first movie?
I played Rume, one of the friends of the main character. She is strong, blunt and provocative; she speaks her mind. Either you like her or not, she doesn’t care. That was the character I played in Journey to Self and it was really great.

When you saw the script, what prompted you to take it?
Easy conversation. Just like you visiting a friend and you chat. The dialogue was easy and believable; just like everyday discussion that you can have with your friend in his or her house and that was what prompted me. The dialogue was free and easy to relate with.

Do you see yourself venturing into Nollywood fully?
Hmmm! I have no idea. I’m going with the flow. It wasn’t something I planned from onset. I only went for an innocent visit and I ended up on a movie set. So, even when I didn’t take it seriously, I got a call that the script was ready. But I will see how it goes. Honestly, I can’t say.

What of if you are given a bigger role to play?
If the script is good, yes! I will play it. I don’t have a lot of experience yet. There is still a lot for me to learn. But first and foremost, I’m a broadcaster, I’m an on air personality at Nigerian Info FM, so my work comes first. This just stumbled upon me and I had to go for the shooting when I wasn’t on air which meant when I closed in the afternoon, when I closed from work, I just went to the location to shoot my role.

Tell us about your experience at Nigerian Info FM.
Nigerian Info is a different kind of radio station. It’s all talk, sports, entertainment and lifestyle. It’s serious business. We give Nigerians a voice, a portal, a window to call and express themselves on issues that are going on in the country, either in politics, business or entertainment. This October makes us one year of being on the airwaves.

Why did you decide to join the radio station?
I wanted to do something different. I have been on television for over 10 years and I started out with radio. So, I decided to go for radio because of the anonymity; without being recognized on set. It was quite interesting that people still remember Katherine on AM Express Show. I just wanted to do something different and Nigerian Info is not just a regular station. They are different.

You always go on low cut. Why the use of a wig now and even the movie you featured in?
The wig depicted the character, Rume in the movie. I couldn’t have done anything like that if not for the movie. I’m comfortable with my low cut and it has worked for me for years. So, I don’t see how I’m going to grow hair. I mean the long one and start tendering it. No! I can’t do it.

Why?
Because it is a lot of work! In-between working, you have your producer and a costumier looking after Katherine. I only go to the barber once in a month and that is okay.

How do you feel when you hear or read unpleasant stories about you?
I’m used to it. I have been in the industry for so long. I just shake my head and smile. I don’t let it get to me at all. I shoot it out of my life. It happens everywhere in the world, in all the continents. It’s just how you take it or react to it and how you let it affect you. If you are innocent in all of such scandals, it would pass, it would blow over. Like they say, ‘next week, there would be another headline making waves’.

Tell us something that most people don’t know about you.
Hmmm! What could that be? (Thinks) I have no idea. But, I’m just a girl next door. I have no barrier. I can go to the market in slippers, T-shirt and shorts. I really don’t care and that is me. People think I have a serious demeanor outside, but those that know me can say more about me. Seeing me for the first time, you might think I always wear a serious look. I’m just like a character in a movie. I’m easy, I have no air, I don’t send, because I grew up among boys and that really had an effect on me. But I don’t care.

No comments:

Post a Comment