Saturday, June 20, 2015

'I am no were near where I planned to be'- Basketmouth confesses

Bright Okpocha, aka Basketmouth, is one of Nigeria’s biggest comedians. Funny and fearless, hard working and handsome, slim and simple. Yes magazines caught up  with the comedian, and he disclosed some truth you never heard about him...

What does it take to succeed in the entertainment industry, especially in the area of comedy?
Sincerely, in every single industry today, the competition is stiff. Information and technology have provided equal opportunities and a level playing field, which means that one has to go the very extra mile to stay relevant and on top of your game. Comedy is not different, so I drive myself to the limit, pay close attention and learn from my environment; continually evolve my style, create new materials from everyday realities and attempt to connect with my audience on a deeper level every time; remaining humble, self disciplined and maintaining every form of loyalty to the people that supported me to this present point that I am and where I will be in future.

What has kept you going all these years?
God is the reason for everything. Everything I own, everything I was, everything that I am and everything I will be, as it stands, it’s not my doing. God has just been a bit partial with me. I am aware that the industry is brewing enormously and I intend to be a partaker, so I work on myself as a brand continually, observing the constant change and allowing myself to be metamorphosed, remaining fresh and always in demand and most especially, remaining relevant to the consumers.

Apart from comedy, what else do you do?
I run a company called Barons World Entertainment, we are a full-option event servicing outfit that offers total event solution, from conceptualizing, planning and excellent execution, which I have been running for six years. This, amongst other things, that I can’t disclose. But trust me, it’s all legit.

Would you say you are made for life with the level you have attained?
I am nowhere near where I planned to be. I’m still on the journey and by God’s grace I will get there soonest.

Africa’s Kings of Comedy was a huge blast, what prompted the idea of that show?
I love trying new ideas, creating different concepts and just watching it come to life. The Africa’s Kings of Comedy was just another project I needed to do, mainly because I wanted to create a platform where other foreign African comedians can come on and display our rich African comedy culture, style and talent. It all started when I did
The Nigeria’s Kings of Comedy in London and I thought I should push it further, hence the conceptualization of AKOC.

As a married man, how have you been coping with your crazy and desperate female fans?
I think the musicians generate the crazy desperate fans, the comedians- not so sure. Well, to the best of my knowledge though, when I come across a female fan like that, I’ll attend to her the same way I will, to a male fan. Pleasantly.

What is the worst moment of your life?
Every moment of my life gave birth to the present me. I don’t consider any moment the worst, as every moment is relevant and instrumental. Even the early days that were rough, when I couldn’t even eat from hand to mouth, those days were some of the best days of my life. If it wasn’t for such experience, I wouldn’t be where I am.

What is the worst rumor you have heard about yourself?
I heard once that I was on drugs, I heard once that I was into fraud, I heard once that I carry cocaine across borders. The list goes on. I find it very amusing though. It goes to show that some people don’t value you when you struggle and have achievements from a positive point. They always want to tie it to something negative, just to justify their own inability to achieve greatness.

What is your definition of a good comedian?
Originality, spontaneity, perfect timing, substance, charisma on stage, strength, self control and confidence. Actually, the list is endless.

What would you say distinguishes you from other comedians?
Everyone is different in their own unique way. The same applies in talent, behavior, culture, character etc. I am definitely different from the rest, not because I intentionally want to, but that is the way I am wired, the way we are all built. You can say it’s my hair, my delivery, my character on stage, my line of jokes and materials, but sincerely, I don’t know. I just know that I am different.

What do you love most about being a comedian?
Being able to get away with anything sometimes.

What annoys you most about being a comedian?
I love what and who I am. Almost every gift has its curse. I’ve decided to live with mine. It’s best I don’t disclose them. There are things better left unsaid.

What is the best advice you have been given, who gave you the advice and what was the advice all about?
Wow! Now, that is a tough one. I have heard so many which impacted my life in more ways than one. At this point, I can’t point out any specifically, but most of what I live by is mostly inspired from general talk, movie lines, books etc. One classic I live by is don’t get into the battle to win your opponent, go in to win the crowd. They are more.

What advice do you have for those who see you as a role model?
Don’t try to be like me, I am not perfect, I have my flaws; don’t try to live the life I live, it might only work for me. Try to be you, be original, be brave, fearless to take those actions, be strong physically, mentally and spiritually and always remember to put God first.

Who do you see as a role model?
A lot of people: Dr. Mike Adenuga Jnr, Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle, Steve Harvey, Kevin Hart, Aliko Dangote and more. These people I admire for different reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment